Sausage and sauerkraut are two of the best things in life, so why not combine them? This recipe is quick and easy to make, but it will taste like you spent hours slaving over a hot stove!
How to Make Homemade Sauerkraut Soup
Sauerkraut soup is the best. It’s like a warm, comforting hug for your insides (and sometimes your outsides). It’s the perfect soup for when you’re feeling down in the dumps or just need some extra love from your belly.
And since it’s made with sauerkraut, you know it’s going to be good for you. Sauerkraut has been shown to help improve digestion and reduce inflammation, so it’s basically a little gift that keeps giving for your body as long as you eat it regularly!
Plus, it tastes great! The briny flavor of sauerkraut pairs perfectly with the richness of potatoes and chicken stock. And if you feel like adding some heat to this already delicious soup? Just throw in a jalapeno or two before blending everything up into a creamy puree. It’ll add just enough kick without overpowering anything else going on here.
Sausage Sauerkraut Soup
- 1 pound sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) 1 can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook sausage over medium heat until browned. Add onion, garlic, paprika, and caraway seeds. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sauerkraut and pasta to the pot. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
There’s no doubt about it—homemade Sauerkraut Soup is the best. And if you’ve never tried it before, I can’t recommend it enough. You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make and how much better your food tastes when you use fresh ingredients.
So what are you waiting for? Get out there and start cooking!